Walderdorff Palace

The Trier Archbishop and Elector Johann Philipp von Walderdorff laid the cornerstone for the building to be the Cathedral deanery in 1765, a structure designed by the architect Johannes Seiz. The French turned it into the prefecture of their Saar Departement (1794-1814). When the Prussians marched into Trier in 1814, the “Old Government Center” was established at the present Cathedral Square.

After a general restoration of the entire complex around 2000, the network of structures with remains from the Middle Ages (Jerusalem Tower) serves many functions for Trier townspeople and guests (city lending library, adult education, art gallery, registry office, office for senior citizens, youth center, wine sales, retail dealer, etc.).