St. Mary's Column

St. Mary's Column towers over the city from the highest point of the sandstone cliffs on the west side of the Moselle. A crowned statue of St. Mary stands on a pillar 40 m (130 ft) high.

Erected with donations from Trier citizens, it was dedicated in 1866, commemorating the declaration by the Catholic Church of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception.

The platform in front of St. Mary's Column offers a fantastic view onto the Roman city and the Moselle Valley.