Kesselstatt Palace

Kesselstatt Palace represents a typical town palace of an earlier and still existing Trier noble family, built across from the bishop’s palace next to the Church of Our Lady.

Karl Melchior Baron von Kesselstatt had the palace designed and built by the Mainz architect Johann Valentin Thoman between 1740 and 1745. Despite the somewhat limited space, he succeeded grandly with the central projection of the house façade.

After heavy damage during the Second World War and reconstruction, the palace is primarily an office building today. But, directly next door, the former Bernhardshof abbey house accommodates an old-fashioned wine room with a true copy of the famous Neumagen wine ship burial monument by the entrance.